CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th


Happy Fourth Of July...ok 3rd of July....but happy day anyways....as we are about to celebrate another year of our great nation's freedom, there are a few questions I would like to ponder. Do the holidays such as this one still get you excited? I find for myself, they really have lost alot of the meaning since I became an adult. Maybe if I had kids of my own, I would still find joy in the festivities. Really, I see most holidays as just another day...even Christmas and New years. How sad!!! I think a large reason too for my loss of interest in Xmas has to do with the over-commercialization of the holiday....I recently saw Halloween decorations at a Michael's craft store...it's only July for Christ's sake. By the time halloween comes around the decorations and spooky sounds will have lost their character and only be seen as an annoyance. I suspect that I will see Xmas stuff available by late August if the halloween thing is any indication. "Jingle Bells" in August turns into fingernails on a chalkboard by December. Bah Humbug already....I can't wait to see my attitude in December..lol. Really, since Mom passed away, the holidays have lost a lot of their meaning. It's just the way things are....and that's ok. Everyone keeps asking," So what are you doing for the 4th?" I haven't a clue. I actually don't even care if I do anything. Last year, I made an attempt to see fireworks with a friend but we were too late getting to the beach and missed them. Kinda like taking a nap on New year's Eve and waking up at 12:01...it just sort of losses it's magic. Oh well....maybe my 4th will be better this year. Just please be careful if you are out on the roads. They say that the 4th is actually the most dangerous holiday for drunk drivers because people attend parties and drink all day and night. So stay close to home, don't light any fireworks that you are holding, and if you still have that child in you, cherish it. Enjoy everyone.




4 comments:

Kelli said...

Joanne,
I can't tell you how good it is to hear from you, even if it's just in blogland. Seriously, what memories from childhood you bring. We always had so many laughs and Mary and I...many fights. (I always won, I went for the face! haha)
We really had some good times as kids.
So nice to hear about what you're up to.

Katie said...

i hear ya on these holidays...
you could always make it interesting and streak during the firework show.
i bet people would rather see a full moon anyway!
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silvermommy said...

Hey Jo Jo

It is raining here in Marlborough - not much of a pool day and will limit fireworks. Just imagine all those folks on the Esplanade all day waiting for the concert tonight! I am just glad for a day off but it doesn't feel like a holiday ... I am off on my great adventure on Sunday, I will keep you posted! Love ya!

Mary S. said...

I understand what you mean. When you lose someone holidays are just a reminder that they won't be there. It is also a reminder how short life is and to enjoy every day you have. I know that sounds sappy but it's true. So God damn it, hand out lots of candy on Halloween, pig out on Thanksgiving and give lots of gifts on Xmas!!! You may even start liking some of them...
Wait a minute, aren't you the girl who wore a full nun outfit for our 8th grade Halloween party???